Spousal Support Orders, An Introduction

A spouse owed a duty of support may file an action against his/her spouse to enforce the duty of support. A county may have the same right as the spouse to secure reimbursement and obtain continuing support. Most often, spousal support issues arise in actions affecting martial status. For instance, during the pendency of a dissolution or legal separation proceeding, the court may order one party to pay support to the other party in an amount that is necessary for the other’s support. Additionally, the court may, by judgment of dissolution or legal separation, order a party to pay for the support of the other party, “in an amount, for a period of time, that the court determines is just and reasonable, based on the standard of living established during the marriage, taking into consideration” various factors. (Fam. C. sec. 4330(a).)

This post is for informational purposes (see disclaimers). Credit is due to Rutter’s California Practice Guide- Family Law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *